Pages

About Me

Western Australia, Australia
I am a keen amateur photographer. I have spent time as a journalist/photojournalist but have never studied either journalism or photography at a tertiary level. Mostly I am self taught. Right now I am taking a break and working in retail.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Roses, birds and a dog named Mangles

My little sister Anni and her dog Manny. He was named Mangles after the suburb where my mother lives; but that always seemed a rather butch name for a small brown and white teddybear like him.

These small Silver-eyes were feeding on the nectar of the tree aloe that grows just outside my front door. I just stood in the house with the camera lens poking through a crack in the door.

I got several good shots of the birds that day. I had to stay quiet and still as possible since they are very nervous little birds. Even the click of the camera lens was enough to spook them, but they soon returned to the lure of the rich nectar. 

It started out as a rather boring image. After all there are a million photos of roses/rosebuds in the world. I recently aquired a copy of Photoshop Elements 9 and have been playing with it. I used the lasso tool to isolate the rose and then turned the background monochrome. I feel it made the rose much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment