Pages

About Me

Western Australia, Australia
I am a keen amateur photographer. I have spent time as a journalist/photojournalist but have never studied either journalism or photography at a tertiary level. Mostly I am self taught. Right now I am taking a break and working in retail.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Waves

As promised, some more photos from my recent trip photographing body-boarders and Kite-surfers in Bunbury, Western Australia.

As I told you before, the waves were absolutely amazing that day. They were smashing into a big rock outcrop right on the beach and really throwing up some huge spray. The Body boarders were loving it....even if I thought they were crazy.

This was probably the best shot I got of the Kite Surfers. I would have liked one with both the surfer and his kite in the same frame but the ropes they use to connect themselves were so long that it was just really hard. The ships in the background are freighters waiting to get into the nearby port to unload.

This photo wasn't taken because I like the image of a semi-naked guy. I just liked the image. Sort of 'Fallen Angel' or 'lost wings'. What had happened was that one of the Kite Surfers had lost his kite after seaweed got tangled in the harness and caused the safety catch to release without warning. The guy with the speedos seemed to be a friend and was helping him retrieve it before the strong wind carried it away. 

I was just about to pack up for the day when I spotted the kite surfer standing up on a rock with his kite over his head to dry it in the wind. He got embarrassed and tried to put the kite down when he saw me taking the photo; it took a little cajoling but he ended up letting me re-take the shot till I was happy. Still playing with the 'Wings'theme. It didn't help that his friend was standing behind me teasing him about his 'modelling career'.

No comments:

Post a Comment