Pages

About Me

Western Australia, Australia
I am a keen amateur photographer. I have spent time as a journalist/photojournalist but have never studied either journalism or photography at a tertiary level. Mostly I am self taught. Right now I am taking a break and working in retail.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Assorted oddments

Just a few from the folder I call 'Odds n Sods'; the photos that don't really fit into any category.

I found this old truck sitting beside a run-down shack in a paddock on the edge of town. This photo was taken late afternoon and I had to shoot straight-on to avoid the heaps of junk scattered around the site. I might try going back in the early morning since there is less distracting clutter to the right of the truck (the area you would see if you photographed from the left side, facing the same direction as the rising sun. There was a little photo-shopping done to erase a really ugly post and wire fence along one side of the truck. I think I did a pretty decent job of clearing it up.

This piece of ironwork had great textural details and lots of light and shadow so I thought I'd try it in black and white to see if that altered it. I think it looks good. By the way, this piece of wrought iron is actually a decorative railing around a gravesite at the local cemetery.

I liked the way that I had managed to capture all the vehicle lights flashing at once. These were firetrucks and they were parked out the front of my house early one morning. The next-door neighbor's house burnt down late one night and this is the ensuing chaos. I wrote about it in my other blog www.majuba79.blogspot.com

A firework at the annual Australia Day celebrations at Koombana Bay a couple of years ago. It was a bit of a lucky shot since fireworks are always tricky to capture since they are not always predictable in where they will ignite and they happen so fast that you have to be really patient to get a decent image.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the truck and the Iron work pictures. The Iron Work picture is best in B/W...so striking! Thanks for the comment on my blog, and yes that is a California Poppy, the background though is a piece of driftwood, not stone. I loved the contrast of the colours between the grey wood and bright orange of the poppy. You have some great stuff here yourself! Hope we can stay in contact. John
    seybolds-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete